Wednesday, October 26, 2011

No Heat Curls #2!

I have been growing my hair out for a long time, and it's finally at a length I would consider "long." I finally have my bangs grown out, but they're not long enough to look good straight. I always have to pin them back. I've been experimenting with some different things with my hair lately. Maybe you've noticed I've been wearing berets a lot lately (Kevin calls them my potato sack hats). I don't have time to mess with my hair in the morning and getting up any earlier than 5:30am is out of the question. Here is what I did to my hair last night that saved me some sleep!

Last night I did this tutorial from Love, Maegan (tutorial also posted at bottom of this post). I read her blog daily. She has great ideas and is sarcastic and honest in her blogging. Though we don't necessarily have the same style, it's fun to see the outfits she puts together daily. She has beautiful hair and I enjoy her tutorials. That is where I found this no-heat curl tutorial using a headband I tried a while back. That headband wrap method is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it looks great but other times it gives me a ring around my head where you can see where the headband was. I thought I'd try a new one.

This technique is called "Bantu Knots." I remember doing a few times in high school but I never remember it turning out so well. I like that it's NO HEAT. My hair is very thin and I don't have much of it, so I am conscious about protecting my hair from damaging heat. Here's what I did:

I showered and washed my hair the night before I wanted my hair curly with plans to sleep with it wrapped overnight (sorry about the no-makeup!) A lot of people will recommend NOT washing your hair before doing this, as it will hold better. I like to wash my hair daily otherwise I feel gross. I let it air dry (hence the "no-heat" emphasis). It was a little damp when I wrapped it and a little damp when I woke up. I had to blow dry the wraps a little bit this morning, so if possible, I'd recommend it be mostly dry. I didn't use any product other than Humectress which I use daily. If I don't use it, my hair is ALWAYS static-y, it never fails. I also put a little hairspray in to give it a little extra hold.

 I didn't take pictures of the actual wrapping process, but if you click here (same like as above and video can be viewed below) you can follow Maegan's tutorial. Basically, you twist your hair and then wrap it around itself. Very simple and easy. The smaller sections you twist, the tighter your curls will be. I'd say I used small to medium sections. My hair doesn't curl very well so I used smaller sections, knowing it would fall out as the day went on. I think I had between 8-10 buns in my hair, secured with a pin, and hairsprayed. I tried to put them in a way that wouldn't drive me nuts to sleep on, but it actually wasn't that bad. In her video, she uses a curling iron to fix some of the sections that didn't curl as well. I didn't figure my kiddos would notice, so I skipped that step.

Ta-da! This is the end result. This was at 6am so my eyes are clearly sleepy. Doing this no-heat curl method actually saved me more time in the morning. I have to leave my house by 6:30 to get to pre-k by 7, so if I can shower at night I can sleep in an extra 20 minutes. The taking-out process is very simple and then I just hairspray a little and I'm set. Much quicker than showering, blow-drying, and teasing because my hair has a ridiculous lack of volume when it's straight. Maegan's taking-out process is also posted below and linked here. She spent much more time than I did. Just take out the pins and shake your head! The curls are very natural-looking which I like.

Here it is at 7pm after a 10 hour day with 4 and 5 year olds! It held up surprisingly well. I can't believe it still actually looks good! I will be doing this a lot more often! Let me know if you give it a go.

Wrapping tutorial:


Taking-out tutorial:

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...