Thursday, October 20, 2011

Melted Crayon Art

I FINALLY MADE IT! I posted this DIY a looooong time ago and I finally found the time to do it! It turned out better than I could have ever imagined and I'm so excited to share it. Without further ado...

Supplies needed:
Crayons- I used a 64 pack from target for about $3
Canvas- Most DIY's I've seen use one large canvas, I chose to mix it up and use two smaller canvases for $6 total at Hobby Lobby
Hot glue gun
Hair dryer
Newspaper to keep surfaces clean

Line up your crayons in the pattern you desire. I chose to stick with the ROYGBIV rainbow pattern. I searched around for how it might look to mix it up, and I found the colors ran together dark and didn't look as nice.

Again, I split my crayons up between two canvases. I can't remember the dimensions. I had to supplement a few crayons from old boxes because they didn't go all the way across.

This is where I stopped taking pictures of the process because I was too anxious to see the final product. Spread newspaper out and hold your canvas over it.

Blowdrying tips from my experience: (with help from Andrea...thanks girl!)
*Hold canvas Away from you, angled away. This helped to make sure the crayons ran DOWN rather than different directions.
*Blow dry the ends of the crayons first (top of the canvas) and work your way to the tips. This also helped to make the crayons run straight.
*Once the crayons start melting, blow dry from the BACK of the canvas to get a more natural trail of crayon.
*It was tempting to keep melting the crayons because it was very cool looking (I'm easily amazed), but once I stepped back and looked at the melting trails I made myself stop because I liked the look. I've seen other DIY's that are much more melted, but they also become clumpy as the crayons run. In order to avoid the clumpiness, I stopped.

Finished Product!


I originally had planned to hang them side-by-side or one on top of the other, but the wall I wanted to hang them on was too big to do that. So, Kevin suggested I stagger them and I like the outcome.

The wall still looked a little bare so I'm working on making pom-pom garland to hang around it in all gray. Like this:

{Via: Pinterest, Source}

Let me know if you try it and if you have any questions let me know! It took about a 45 minutes to complete. Others have taken longer to melt their crayons, so I must have a powerful blow dryer.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...