Friday, October 21, 2011

Recycled Burlap Jewelry Display

It's been another productive morning for me. Well, kind of. Still not done with my TWS but now that I have nothing left to craft, it will get done.

Yesterday I went to Goodwill in search of some unloved picture frames I can recycle. I picked up these 3 for $9 total. I knew I wanted to make a jewelry display with one, but the other two were bonuses. The holidays are coming up, I'm sure I'll find something to make for someone.

I also went to Hobby Lobby to pick up some spray paint. I have never spray painted anything before (I know what you're thinking and no, I've never defaced a building believe it or not!) I had to decide whether or not I wanted to do it the "right" way and use a primer first, or just go ahead and spray paint. Well, eventually I want to re-do some of the wooden furniture in our apartment, so I figured I better get a primer. I'll use it all eventually.

I used a white primer as opposed to grey or black so the green on top would be a little lighter. I wanted it to be a minty green, so I chose "Pistachio" and it turned out to be the perfect color. The primer and spray paint were $5 each and covers 25 sq. ft. of surface, so I figure it was a good investment and will last me awhile.

I also picked up wooden knobs from HL that I neglected to get a picture of. They were in the isle with all the other wooden things for $1 for 12 knobs. I got "Elephant" grey to paint them. I used my fingers to do so :)
I did this last night so it wasn't so windy. I spread newspaper out on my patio and gave the frames 2 layers of primer. I let them dry about 15 minutes, flipped them over, and sprayed the other side. This is just a primer, so it doesn't have to be perfect.
Next, I did the same thing with the green. TIP! Don't do this over newspaper. Use cardboard instead. I let one side dry for 15 minutes, and it was dry to the touch, but the newspaper still stuck to it. I ended up having to re-coat the side the newspaper stuck to this morning to cover up the pieces of paper. I think the spray paint also got underneath the dry side, making it wet, which caused the sticky newspaper. Solution: Cardboard and/or on the grass.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to use the knobs or just regular old nails. I ended up using the knobs, but I spray painted some nails just in case. I decided to go with the knobs so my necklaces wouldn't slide off the nails.
I also purchased 1 yard of burlap at HL. It was $3 a yard, which I thought was a little pricey. Turns out, you really get double the yards, as it's folded over on the ream.


I put the frame over the burlap and roughly cut what I would need in burlap. I cut an extra inch all the way around just to be safe.
This is where a staple gun would come in handy. I used hot glue and it worked just fine. Make sure you pull the burlap tight so it looks nice and neat. It's easier to hang your earrings up if it's tight.
Cut the excess burlap once you have it glued all the way around. It doesn't have to be pretty. No-one will see it.

If I was more handy, I would have nailed the knobs on. I wasn't sure how to work it, so I just hot glued it. TIP! Don't use too much hot glue, or it will seep out the sides. The picture below has too much hot glue and it is visible around the sides of the knob.
I glued 5 knobs spaces out evenly along the top (even though this picture makes the knobs look crooked.) The knobs on top are for necklaces. I glued two knobs about 2/3rds of the way down for bracelets and watches. I ended up glueing two more knobs later for rings.
Ta da! Finished product! I love love love it.

Here it is in it's new home on the counter in my bathroom. I had originally planned to hang it on the opposite side on the wall. However, I realized it would be difficult to get my stud earrings on and off. So, I leaned it against the linen cupboard and it looks just fine.
Now back to my TWS. Maybe later I'll figure out what to do with the other two frames. If anyone is interested in the jewelry holder, let me know and I'll make you one!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...