Monday, October 31, 2011

DIY Fabric Pouch

I am so excited to share my latest endeavor! Awhile back my mom sent me a gigantic package of Sharpies and I had the idea of making a bag for them. I finally have found the time to do it and I am SO excited how it turned out. I did it completely by hand, though it would have been 100% easier if I had a sewing machine. Here is my creation and a rough guideline for how I produced it. 

What'd you'll need:
Fabric 
Embroidery floss
Thead
Ric rac
Zipper (I used a 9")
Needles


I wanted to double line my pouch with of course a bunch of different fabrics because, ya know, I live in a rainbow.

Iron all the fabric so there's no wrinkles in the bag. This is the first time I've ironed in years. In the process, I broke the ironing board. It won't go back down. :( Clear sign I shouldn't be burdened by ironing.

Put "wrong" sides together (i.e. sides that won't be showing.) I wanted the blue and green fabrics to be on the outside, and the brown and the coral to be on the inside.

With wrong sides together, line the fabrics up to the zipper.

Make a hem all the way around the fabrics. Since the coral will be on the inside of the bag fold the fabric onto the fabric that will not be shown on the outside. Wow, that was a confusing sentence. I don't know how else to explain it :)

After you have created a hem around the two sides, pin it to the zipper to get ready for stitching.

I have no idea what this type of stitching is called. Basically, you go over and under. I wish I would have made my stitches smaller, but I was impatient. I think it would have looked nicer.

This is the flip side of the picture above.

Then, stitch the other side onto the zipper in the same manner. I have more fabric than I need on the right side. I cut about n inch off so the fabric hits at the end of the zipper.

This is the inside of the bag. All edges are hemmed and all layers are sewed to the zipper.
This is where I got so excited I forgot to take any pictures of the sewing together process. Never fear, it was very easy! You can see the stitching I used in the close up in the picture below. I basically just stitched all the way around the bag. Make sure the ends of the zippers are tucked in.

To make it a little fancier I hot glued some ric rac to the outside. (I think I need to invest in various forms of glue. It seems I use hot glue for everything.)




Insert Sharpies! I know this isn't the most glamorous bag in the world and it definitely needs some improvements (i.e. me taking my time!) but I taught myself how to do it and I made it completely by hand from scratch. It suits its purpose for holding my beloved Sharpies. I love how colorful it is and I think it has a nice little vintage look to it.
The best part of being able to make things myself is I can make it look however I want it to. I could never find a bag like this in a store. I love having an idea in my head, and instead of searching store after store for it, I can just make it.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...