I am a pretty "green" individual-- I request paper over plastic at Fareway, and I recycle all I can. I must say, however, I was not all that sad about the effects of global warming in Iowa. I'm talking 60 degree weather in December, going on outside runs in January. Well, mother nature finally caught up with us and it's finally winter in Iowa.
Don't get me wrong, I love living in a climate that experiences all four seasons. I don't think I'd be happy in a place that was tropical all year round (Ok, I'd be happy for awhile. Until Christmas.) If I could pick the weather, I'd choose 6 months of fall, 3 months of summer, 2.5 months of spring, and I could maybe handle about two weeks of winter. Enough to go sledding, make a snowman, have a snowball fight, declare a snow day, and shoo the children away from the yellow snow.
I was a lucky girl this Christmas and stocked up on winter gear. My mom got me this lovely scarf that is huge and fluffy and so warm. My grandparents got me the hat and gloves, which might have been a few of my favorite Christmas gifts. I have had an irrational desire to have the kind of gloves where the top can flap over and button for a long time now. I finally got them! I have also wanted a hat with the flaps on the sides and a poofy ball on top (I know I'm 23 years old, get off my back!) I also got some new snow boots! I was in love with my old pair and they lasted through about 3 years of walking to and from class and work through college. Now I have some recess boots (I'm glad I kept them, mom!)
We're halfway through January and winter has found us. I guess it's time I gear up for lots of layers, an extra ten minutes in the morning to scrape my car, looking for snow delays in the morning, and stressful driving conditions. And maybe a snow day or two filled with hot chocolate by the fire and frolicking in the snow :)

No comments:
Post a Comment