Mom:
"Today I'd like to acknowledge our daughter, Macey Jann Spensley, and her 10 year "diaversary"! She's put up with counting every carb she's eaten in those 3,650 days, over 20,0000 finger pokes, almost 800 insulin pump site changes, 4000 insulin injections before getting her pump, over 20 miles walking in the JDRF annual Walks. But in those 10 years I've never witnessed a tear, meltdown or major complaint from her about being diabetic. Her favorite time of the year is because of diabetes. Camp Hertko Hollow has introduced her to a huge family of "Diabadasses"!! They're the best support team I could ask for her to have!! Love you girls, guys and counselors!!! Here's to a cure being found and no more diaversaries!!!!! Love ya Macey!!"
Dad:
Ten years ago today Macey was diagnosed withe Juvenile Diabetes. She is an amazing daughter! I've never met anyone as positive or as tough as she is. She is my hero!
I remember the day Macey was diagnosed with Diabetes very vividly. My brothers and I came home from school and dad called and had us all get on speakerphone and told us the news. She was 5. I didn't understand what Diabetes was then, but our family knows a lot about what it is now. I want to be clear (because this always bothers me)--she has Type 1 Diabetes--caused by your pancreas failing to produce insulin to break down the sugars in the blood. She does not have Type 2 Diabetes--often caused by obesity. There is nothing anyone could have done to prevent this from happening to her.
As noted in my parents' statuses, Macey deals with a lot on a daily basis but never complains or feels sorry for herself. She has always had a positive attitude and took her diabetes in stride.
The best thing that has come from her diabetes is the friends she has made because of it. Every summer, she attends Camp Hertko Hollow, a summer camp for children and teens with diabetes. They have a full staff of doctors and nurses, and many of the counselors also have diabetes. Everyone there knows what Macey goes through on a daily basis, and they are a great support team for each other. I have went with my mom to pick Macey up a few times, and there are always tears from nearly every camper. Here are some posts from the Hertko Hollow Facebook page:
That awkward moment when you think of the last day of camp from the previous year, and wanna cry because you miss it so much ♥
Diabetes: It's what we have, not who we are.
I would love nothing more to be sitting in a cabin w/ my bestfriends talking & laughing & being camp-happy. I miss camp so freaking bad....
My Blood Sugars Are High, I'm Spilling Keytones, And I Can't Sleep Because I'm Checking Every Hour. I Wish I Had Hertko Staff To Take Care Of Me..♥
2011 was a hard year for me. I had Ketoacidosis twice! The first time, it wasn't to bad, but the second time, I was knocking on deaths door... I got tired of being a diabetic and just stopped taking care of it, without my parents knowing... No body understood what was happening to me, so I was lost. That was in Novmeber, since then, I have gotten back to myself, and I know that diabetes isnt going to stop me from living, it isnt going to take over me!! I know, that one day there WILL be a cure, whether it is in my lifetime or not, there will be one. I had a pump, but when I got sick, the doctors took it away, so Im on shots again.. :/ They said I could earn it back, so thats my goal! Nothing is going to stop me now! Ijust cant wait for camp, Imissed it in 2011... It broke my heart! I cried!! There was a flood warning, so my family and I were worried, but not to worry! Im going for sure this year!! Teen Week 2012!!! Woo hoooo!
Diabetes is pronounced dia-bea-teez & not die-ah-beat-us because we refuse to let it beat us ♥
I could keep going, but I won't. Macey met her best friends at camp, and they refer to themselves as "Diabadasses."
There is no cure for diabetes, but research and advancements are being made everyday. JDRF is a great cause to support.
Just wanted to dedicate this post today to my brave little sister. You're an inspiration to me with your positive attitude and strength.
Love you, sister!





No comments:
Post a Comment