Saturday, February 11, 2012

Hair Pastel Product Review

Oh. My. Gosh. If it were legal to marry an inanimate object, I would marry these hair pastels. They are amazing! Seriously! GO BUY THEM NOW!!!!!!!!!

I finally got a chance to dress up pretty and try out these babies and I haven't been able to stop looking at my hair! I   have tested out all three of my pastels (coral, blue, and purple) and am in love with all of them. They all showed up just fine in my red/brown hair and washed out just fine as well. They did not damage my hair (I read some comments on this post where I found this idea, and a lot of people warned against them.) I colored my hair last week and it didn't mess with the color or texture or moisture in my hair either. They did turn my fingers colors while I was applying it, but it washed right out.

I started with about 4 strands, but this stuff is like a drug to me. I ended up with many strands of color and I LOVE it. Today I put on my favorite navy lace dress and purple tights and then added some purple highlights to my hair. I ran around doing errands and felt like the coolest girl in town! I did get some strange looks from the older folk at Hy-Vee and I also got some pleasant looks from the high school checkers.

Ta Da! This was right after I chalked it so it was very vibrant. It became less vibrant over time, which I am ok with. I am also standing in front of a window here, which made it look even brighter.
Here's what I did and some tips from my experience:

I tried it without water and the color wasn't as vibrant and flaked off. Lightly wet the strand of hair you want color in first.


When choosing strands, I did some from the bottom layers of my hair and some from the top. I did most of the colors toward the front and sides and a few in the back. Before chalking, the end of my pastel had a hard layer. I rubbed it on a piece of paper for awhile to get the end off so it was more smooth on my hair. I also found it easier to use the side of the chalk rather than the tip. 


Twist your damp strand and chalk in a downward motion. If you go up and down, it makes your hair ratty. When you comb it out, some of the color will fall out. Try and go just down to reduce tangles. Also, excuse my creepy eyes in these pictures.

Then I had some fun with the color accent feature on my camera.



All in all, I would definitely recommend using these pastels. They are so much fun to experiment with and they wash out in one shampoo, so there is no commitment!

Here are links to my other posts about hair chalking. You can see where I got this idea and where I purchased my pastels from.

Pastel Hair Dying
The Arrival of the Pastels
The Beauty Department (original idea)
Where to Buy Them

2 comments:

Kelli Johnson said...

LOVE

Jan said...

Do you think you have some of your mother's talent with hair????  Cute pictures!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...