Just kidding! I'm no embroidery guru, however, I am pretty good at Googling. I found this website that taught me all I need to begin my embroidery endeavors. If you are at all interested in embroidering and have no idea where to begin, seriously, READ her blog and you will have all the information you need.
To get started, I took a trip to JoAnn's to buy a few embroidery hoops. Medium sizes are about $1.50 per hoop. I also stocked up on embroidery floss, which is about 35 cents a piece. I then had to figure out what I would use for the base of my embroidering. I searched all over trying to find the appropriate material to use. I finally asked a sales clerk (she looked like a grandma so I knew she'd be good). She told me her favorite thing to use is flour sack towels. I have NO idea what this was, but she assured me if I went to Target or Wal Mart and looked at the dish towels, I would find a package of 4-5 on the bottom shelf. She was right, and I must say it was very easy to work with and I have a TON of fabric for only $4.
I looked around online for a pattern to follow, but I was anxious to start and nothing caught my eye. So, I just started stitching. I used a back stitch for all the circles and the heart outline and a satin stitch to fill in the heart. It did take me a few hours but it was something I could do while I lounged (after a long day of subbing, much needed.) I am very happy with how it turned out and can't wait to find a home for it! (If you haven't done so yet, read my post for my inspiration behind embroidering.)
Happy Friday! Do you have any plans for the weekend? I'm headed to a friend's birthday tonight, sleeping in tomorrow, and probably doing another embroidering piece!
Are you into embroidering? Where do you go for patterns or design inspiration?
I also want to share this embarrassing story really quickly. So the gas gauge on my car doesn't work, it hasn't worked in a long long time. It's always on full, even when it's really on empty. I knew I was due for a refill yesterday so I was planning on stopping on my way home from work. I tried stopping at Casey's, but a [rude] driver wouldn't let me over to turn! So, I decided to move onto the next station down the road. Well, my car had other plans. Between the first gas station and the second gas station (1/2 mile apart mind you), my car literally RAN out of gas! What the heck?! Luckily my aunt lives close by and brought her gas can to me so I could make it down the road. I'm so thankful for her!! I also should add this was right at 5:00 so there were plenty of onlookers checking to see who the idiot was who let her car run out of gas. However, in my defense, my gas gauge DOES NOT work! I usually get gas every 350-375 miles. I was only at 315. I ran out of gas ON MY WAY to get gas. How embarrassing. Has this ever happened to any of you? I sure felt dumb.
Also, I'm over on Crafted Love today giving blogging advice through a feature sponsor post. Check it out!
Have a great weekend!

4 comments:
Looking at your embroidery has rekindled a desire in me to do something such as embroidery or needlepoint or crocheting. I used to do all of those and couldn't wait until I retired to do those things. Now that I am retired, I seem to spend my spare time on the computer or reading or watching TV. Maybe I'll get back into it. Keep up the good work.
Love, Grandma
Love the colours you picked - so pretty! I love Wild Olive too, her embroidery is just gorgeous. You should also check out Carina http://carinascraftblog.wardi.dk/ and Feeling Stitchy http://www.feelingstitchy.com/ if you haven't come across them already... I always find something inspiring in both!
Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely check those out.
I find it to be pretty relaxing so I like to do it while I'm just lounging, watching TV.
Post a Comment