There are 5 rules:
1. Post these rules.
2. Post a picture of yourself and 11 random things.
3. Answer the questions set for the original post.
4. Create 11 new questions and tag people to answer them.
5. To to their blog and tell them you've tagged them.
![]() |
| My friend Kristina (right) and I jumping after we hiked up Mt. Vesuvius in Napoli, Italy |
11 Random Things
1. I am very nostalgic and sentimental. I will easily tear up remembering a fond memory. I am also afraid to throw anything away. I still have a box of love notes from my 8th grade boyfriend, and probably 5 or so diaries from my elementary years that are SO embarrassing to read.
2. I have a really hard time sleeping at night unless conditions are JUST right. The annoying blue light on the cable box has to be shut off, I need one pillow to hug and one pillow to sleep on, I have a few select shirts that don't drive me crazy to sleep in, and I of course have to be on the side of the bed furthest from the door. (Poor Kevin.)
3. I eat like an 8 year old in every sense. I like sweets, I prefer "normal" American food to any other, and I can't eat a big meal. I am also very temperature sensitive when it comes to eating. If my meal cools too quickly, I can't eat it all. If my water isn't ice cold, I don't drink it.
4. I don't particularly other people's pets. I don't really know when this happened. Growing up we had 2 outdoor hunting dogs and a few outdoor cats, and I liked them just fine. But in my adult like I find myself really irritated at pets, particularly indoor dogs that jump and shed. No thank you. (Sorry, Lindsey!) :)
5. When I first met Kevin I had the biggest school girl crush on him. I didn't tell anyone and just secretly loved him and my heart was broken everyday that went on he didn't notice me. (Gosh I sound like a creepy stalker!) I remember the very first time I saw him and how nervous I got. It took me doing push ups during a drinking game with a few friends to realize how awesome I was. :)
6. I really really really love thunderstorms. Nothing makes me feel more cozy than a summer thunderstorm curled up with a good book.
7. My absolute favorite city is Florence, Italy. I have been to many cities in Italy, and Firenze takes the cake! When I was there, I remember turn after turn bringing some new, amazing discovery. It was a big city but didn't feel as hectic or touristy as Rome. We bought grapes and wine at the market, walked aimlessly around the city, and watched the sunset at the peak of the city. Absolutely perfect. I miss it so much.
8. I think I miss college an unhealthy amount. I am having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that I have graduated. It's not that I'm in the "real world" now, it's more of the fact that I don't have tons of friends all around me, thousands of like-minded UNI panthers, and something to do at all times. I can't just call up my best friend and say, "Hey, I'm going to Target, wanna come?" or walk out my bedroom door and ask my roommate if she was as frustrated with this paper as I was. I miss that giant UNI family full of amazing people and amazing memories. :(
9. That being said, I adore Des Moines more than I ever thought I would. I must admit, I wasn't all that excited to move here. However, now that I am here I can see myself here. Kevin and I have been discussing lately whether or not we'd like to buy a home here someday. I used to be set on raising my kids from a small place since both of us are from a small place, and I like being from a small place. But the fact that our kids can go spend a few weeks each summer on Kevin's family's farm and can experience small town life from visiting my home town, the idea of living in a bigger city is easier to imagine. I am warming up to the idea. :) (NO mom, kids won't be for at least another 10 years.)
10. I like things neat and organized but I am a messy person. I let things get messy and then it gets to a point where I can't stand it anymore and go on a cleaning rampage. This happens about every 2 weeks. Maybe if I just picked up after myself (and, let's be honest, Kevin) the mess would be more manageable. I'll work on that.
11. I love handwriting. I miss the days where you didn't have to type everything. My obsession with my own handwriting started in 5th grade when a substitute teacher told me I had very nice handwriting. That might have been the best compliment I could have gotten. Now, I put particular effort into my handwriting. When I teach I always go out of my way to compliment students' handwriting. I also find students are often complimenting my own handwriting, which makes me smile a lot :)
Questions from Katy:
1. Do you drink coffee and if you do, why did you start? I hate coffee. I am becoming accustomed to the smell of it but I can't stand the taste. I even despise coffee ice cream.
2. What is the most important quality you look for in a friend? It's really important to me to be able to feel like myself around a friend. I don't want to feel like I'm being judged by being honest or being my silly self.
3. What is your #1 favorite toy when you were young? I was a HUGE Barbie and Polly Pocket girl. I remember playing with the Barbie grocery store my mom had when she was young. I loved that thing! I also had a large collection of the tiny little Polly Pockets.
4. Do you prefer sunshine or rain? Despite one of my random facts above, I would prefer sunshine. Nothing beats a 70 degree sunshine filled day.
5. What movie can you watch over and over and never get sick of? I LOVE the movie A League Of Their Own. I also love Forest Gump and just bought it for Kevin for his birthday.
6. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Married, maybe living in our very own home. I hope to be teaching in the area. I also hope we have build a close-knit group of friends around us. I will probably start thinking about popping out babies.
7. Skype: Is it more awesome or awkward? I think it's a little awkward! I LOVED it when I lived in Italy to talk to and see Kevin and my family and friends. But I don't Skype at all now.
8. Who is your favorite band and what were you doing when you discovered them? Hands down, it's Brand New. When I first heard them I was in Tonia's car. She gave me all 4 albums for Christmas, and I remember I was home on break, sitting in our living room with my headphones in and I absolutely fell in LOVE. Like, my mind was blown. I have been hooked ever since.
9. Cats or dogs? I like dogs better, but remember, not other people's dogs! I don't see myself ever really wanting a dog. Maybe and outside one. Or my mom's puppy, Shiloh.
10. What is your favorite thing to collect? At the moment, it's things for our wedding! Mason jars, vintage brooches, vintage handkerchiefs, other vintage pieces that will fit in nicely.
Questions for those who wish to participate:
1. Who is your favorite person?
2. What is your biggest pet peeve?
3. If you had to pick one outfit to wear everyday for the rest of your life, what would it be?
4. What is one thing you are really really good at?
5. If you weren't in your current profession, what other profession would you choose?
6. What do you do when you are trying to procrastinate?
7. What are the 3 closets things to you right now?
8. If you were to describe yourself (not physically!) to someone who didn't know you, what 5 words would you use?
9. What traits or quirks did you inherit from your parents?
10. What would your perfect day consist of?
Send me your answers and questions if you do it! Hope you enjoyed learning more about me :)

3 comments:
My Grandmother Hansen loved handwriting as well and she had the most beautiful handwriting. Sometime when you are home remind me and I will pull out some handwritten notes she sent to me over the years. She also loved to teach cursive and loved it when someone had excellent cursive writing. She would have adored you and been thrilled that you became a teacher!
I did it, I did it! http://michmiossi.blogspot.com/2012/03/i-bet-you-didnt-know.html
Did this.. http://sweethannahpea.wordpress.com/2012/03/05/11-things/
Post a Comment