Monday, February 6, 2012

DIY Fabric Candle Votives

Hey guys! I'm here with a fun and easy DIY for you today. As many of my crafts are invented, I was perusing the aisles of Hobby Lobby and a lightbulb went off. This is another version of the votives I made for my future sister-in-law, Lindsey, for Christmas. It was hard to give them up so I knew I needed to make some for myself!

Materials:

This is also a very inexpensive project:
Glass- 99 cents each
Fabric- $2 each for a quarter yard (I ended up only using the green one)
Mod Podge- $6 for this giant tub, it will last you forever

You also need a bowl, water, and a sponge brush.

First, make a glue/water solution with 2 parts water, 1 parts glue. Mix it up. 

Next, cut your fabric into strips. You want to cut them long enough to reach the bottom of the glass past the top. You will cut the excess off later, so it doesn't have to be perfect. The width is up to you. Cut enough strips to cover the inside of the class. 

Next, dip your strip of fabric into the glue mixture. Squeeze off the excess. (I should warn you now that this is a slightly messy project! You'll want to cover your surface with newspaper.)


One by one, adhere your fabric to the glass. You will want to use your brush to get it to stick to the side. Try to get rid of as many bubbles as possible. I didn't figure out a great way to do this. They won't be very noticeable once the votive is all dry.


Say hi to Kevin! He was snowed in from work on Saturday, so he worked from home. He audits, I craft. Someone's gotta support my crafting habits (even though he doesn't look thrilled to be doing so.) Oh-- and say hi to "Spanky" the monkey by the TV.


This is what your votive will look like once all the fabric strips are applied. You will have some overlapping in the fabric, but it will look ok once it's dry, I promise! You will cut off the excess fabric once it's dry as well.


Here's a picture of the inside, all covered.


Ta-da! Finished product. What do you think? 



Put your candles in and enjoy! 

While I used flamed candles in these pictures, I would recommend using FLAMELESS tea light candles to err on the side of caution. You don't want Smokey the Bear knocking on your door.


My votives are on our coffee table with my beautiful mason jar candle that is too pretty to use. :) Happy crafting!

2 comments:

Lindsey C said...

I have used my beautiful votives numerous times with no disastrous fires. :)

AllisonSpensley said...

Phew! Good to know :) I feel like I'm babysitting a candle.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...