Sunday, March 18, 2012

Hanging How-To

Friday was probably the most productive day of my life. It was my first day of spring break, so I had the day off (and this week, too!) I woke up early and started cleaning right away! I cleaned for 5 hours! I don't know what got into me, but it felt good. After the apartment was spotless, I decided to hang up some things I've been putting off.

I have 3 shadow boxes that have awkward spots for hanging. They're hard to get straight and positioned how I want them. I also wanted to hang the shutter I found at the antique store, which didn't have a spot for a nail. I hung both with tricks I saw on Pinterest that I thought I'd share.

The first is the ol' toothpaste trick. Use this trick when planning out where you are hanging multiple pieces. Just put a little blop of toothpaste on the hook of the piece you are going to hang. Eyeball it to make sure you know where you want it. Press it against the wall to leave a toothpaste mark, then hammer in your nail. Since I had 3 boxes to hang, this was especially helpful in getting the positioning right.




The second trick I tried out was using a pop tab. This worked like a charm, too! Just put a nail in the piece you want to hang, slide on the pop tab, nail a hole in the wall where you want to hang your piece, and then hang the pop tab from the nail in the wall.



Ok, so this is a terrible picture. It's blurry and looks like I have a few tiny things on two giant walls. I promise it looks good in real life.

I'm pretty proud of my little corner of antique goodness. Handkerchiefs, a vase, brooches, and a shutter. I am glad I found a way to display a few of the items I've been collecting for the wedding.

I'll be back later with some pictures of our apartment! Remember when I shared pictures of our apartment before we moved in? I realized I never shared pictures of it now that we've been living here. I figured since I got it all cleaned up nice, this would be a good time :) I'm off to enjoy the beautiful weather reading on the patio. Hoping to soak up some sun and start my summer tan!

Happy Sunday, friends!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...