Monday, March 5, 2012

Bookworm

I'm in a rut. I feel so unproductive, and here's why. I spent 4 years of college never having free time, always having something "due." I always had a paper to write, a test to study for, or a project to start. Then, student teaching. My 50 page Teacher Work Sample, daily writing of lesson plans and grading kept me busy. Then, I dove into subbing, applying to different districts every night, updating my cover letter and resumé constantly.

Now, I finally have some time to myself, and I'm just not so sure what to do with it. I just don't feel like crafting every night, there's not enough room in my apartment for all my projects! I try and blog every night, but I don't always have something inspiring to write about and don't want to post something just for the sake of doing it. Kevin doesn't get home till 8 and then needs his own time to unwind and relax. That leaves me to watch crappy TV, peruse my favorite blogs and Pinterest, and waste time on Facebook. I need something more fulfilling in my life.

So, I've decided to read. Why haven't I been reading all this time? I used to read ALL the time. I always have a book going and one waiting in the wings. Then college came and I stopped. Now, I am going to start again. I put a call out to my facebook friends asking for recommendations. It is always so difficult for me to find a book to read. Here are a few of their suggestions, if you are looking for a book, too: The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games, Wicked, The Help, Life As We Knew It, An Unquiet Mind, and oh, The Hunger Games.



For those of you who really know me, you know I will avoid fads at all cost. I went to Barnes and Noble tonight, half planning on getting The Hunger Games just to see what all the fuss was about. Read the back, not interested. Saw this display, definitely not interested. Called my mom, who has read it, she said I wouldn't like it. Mother's know best. Speaking of which, Kevin's mom recommended The Help. The Help is what I got. I love historical fiction type books, books that make you think, and books with a great story. I haven't seen the movie, I'll read the book first.



(I also want to recommend Sarah's Key. I read it this summer and I absolutely loved it. Then I come to find out they made it into a movie. The movie is pretty good. Kevin even liked it. Read the book. Trust me.)

I am excited to spend an hour or so every night enthralled in a good book. Kevin has been reading this book. What a lame-o. Am I engaged to a CPA, or what?



If you have any recommendations of books, I'd LOVE to hear.

3 comments:

Michelle Miossi said...

Right after student teaching I got super into reading! I read The Help this summer and LOVED it!! I am on my third Hunger Games book and have like those as well... but I would also Suggest Emily Giffin books (Something Borrowed, Something Blue, Baby Proof) and Water for Elephants was really good. Oh and the book Little Bee is a great book! I am planning on reading Sarah's Key, have heard lots of good thins! Oh, final suggestion. Boy in the Stripped Pajamas, it's more for young adults but very good! It's a historical fiction as well! Okay, I'm done, sorry about my long comment! :) 

AllisonSpensley said...

Don't apologize! Thanks for all the suggestions. You will love Sarah's Key. I read Little Bee this summer and it is one of my favorite books. I have read Love the One You're With by Emily Griffith a few summers ago, I should check out the others. I think Water for Elephants might be the next one I read. We should probably just start a book club :)

Michelle Miossi said...

Haha we probably should! If only DSM and Monti weren't so far! I just bought Love the One You're With.. I am excited to read it! We have good taste!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...