Also, you should all be on Pinterest. Seriously. Well, don't do it if you have stuff to do. It's extremely distracting. Follow my boards and I'll follow you! We can get distracted together.
On a more serious note, I am very bothered and would like to vent my frustrations. My aunt told me tonight about my cousin's experience at a team dinner for football that included all the players and cheerleaders. This is at a large, diverse, PUBLIC school in the Des Moines area. She said the coach asked everyone to bow their heads to pray before the meal. Another instance of religion in public education with my other cousin: The coaches passed out "good luck" notes with biblical verses written on them as motivation for their XC meet. My aunt and her family have a very strong Christian faith and that is great and has gotten them through some terrible times. She loved that the coaches did that, as any Christian family would. She was curious if I learned anything about what to do and what not to do in terms of religion and school.
I would NEVER do that. I guarantee there was at least one student in each instance who was very offended. The school district is affluent with middle to upper socioeconomic status. There are over 50 languages spoken as well. When I mentioned this to my aunt, she said it was the students' choice of whether or not they wanted to pray. Yes, it may be their choice to conform and pray or refrain and feel like an outcast. I was "raised" Catholic (I went to CCD, church on Easter and Christmas, was confirmed, etc.) and would now consider myself a skeptical atheist. Even as someone with Christian roots, I would be incredibly offended in that situation.
Long story short, no, UNI did not teach us it was OK to use religion in a public school. I'm wondering what kind of rules and/or laws are being broken here. It breaks my heart for the kids who are put into this situation. On a related note, during the pledge of allegiance at school today, one student asked me why we said the pledge and I had a hard time answering. I first praised the student for bringing up this question and questioning norms. In the end, I said it's a way to thank your country for giving us a free place to live and sending us to school so we can learn. He was happy with that answer. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment