Monday, December 5, 2011

DIY Glitter Ornaments

After a long absence in crafting I'm back! Back with some Christmas lovin'. I don't acknowledge Christmas until December 1 (it overshadows Thanksgiving and my birthday--11/27.. two very important days). Today I finally started putting up some Christmas decorations. I got a 100 bulb pack of twinkle lights to hang on the fireplace for $2 at Target. I didn't know how much to get, so the fireplace lights have spilled over to become window lights. I also bought mini ornaments in the $1 bin.



(Yes-- that's my craft corner. I am in desperate need for some organizational furniture.)

Here's what you need to make the glitter ornaments:

I got everything from Hobby Lobby (thanks for the gift card, Mom!)
Glass ornaments: $4 (I got them on sale for 50% off!)
Glitter: $1.50 each
Wire hangers: $1 
Tacky glue: $2 (you could also use hot glue, glue stick, etc. if you want the glue to dry clear)
Feathers: $2

Things you need that you have at home for glitter control:
Cookie sheets
Bowls

Here are a few pictures I took of the process. Basically, make any design you desire with the glue. 
 Shake the glitter over the ornament, being sure to catch the excess glitter in a bowl over a cookie sheet (I'm messy).
 After covering this ball with glue, I covered part of it with newspaper to get stripes. I didn't get a picture of the final product, so use your imagination.
Here are some of my favorite creations:

 I also used feathers! I like these a lot. I considered getting just colored feathers and putting them into the ornaments and keeping it simple. Apparently that wasn't time consuming enough for me.

For the bottom left ornament, I put feathers inside and glitter on the top, I dropped some green glitter inside. I'm considering adding water? For the one on the bottom right, I made squiggles with the glue and sprinkled glitter on it. (It looks better in person, I promise.)
Gotta have one with my future last name!

 Another favorite below.
 And the aftermath. There is literally glitter all over our apartment. Oopsie :)

There's more where that came from! If you like what you see be sure to click "Join this Site" at the top! I love to know who my readers are :)

Check back tomorrow for DIY fabric button earrings and a recycled art project from newspaper!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...