Tuesday, December 6, 2011

DIY Fabric Button Earrings

I have a bajillion of these earrings and I love them oh so much. Now you can make them and love them, too. They take about 5 minutes each to make and are very simple. Here's what you need:

Fabric of your choice, I got mine at JoAnn for $2 for a quarter yard
Hot glue gun (As I was making this, Kevin says, "You sure get a lot of use out of that glue gun don't ya?") Yes I do. And so should you.
Button Fasteners (It's what's in the brown package-- can be found at any craft store in the fabric section somewhere near the buttons) $2ish **NOTE! These come in many sizes. I used 3/4" buttons, but I also think 1/2" are cute

Button making kit (the blue and white circles) $2ish
Needle nose pliers (free from my boy!)
Earring backs (can be found in any craft store in the jewelry making section) $2 for 36 earrings


Using the pliers, take the fasteners off the buttons. This is the most time consuming part depending on if they want to cooperate.

Cut circles out of fabric, about 1" in diameter

Find the white part of the button making kit, one fabric circle, and the cap of the button.

Center the fabric in the white part press down with your finger. Be sure fabric is right side out so the bright part is on the outside of your earrings.

 Place the cap of the button inside, trying to keep the fabric centered.

Place the back of the button into the kit after gathering all the fabric into the center.

Use blue part of cap and press back of button into cap. You will hear a "click" when it's in place.

 Remove button from kit and place a dot of hot glue on the back.

Attach button backs. When I made my first pair, I centered the backs. Since my ears are double pierced, they kind of looked funny when I had earrings in my 2nd holes. You want to place the backs nearer to the top. Press down.

Ta Da!

Make more and more and more!

If you like the look but are intimidated by the process, you can also just buy plastic buttons, put some hot glue on the back, and press in the backs. 

Good luck! Send me a picture if you decide to make them :)

1 comment:

Lauren Leggatt said...

THESE ARE SO CUTE! i love button earrings, they're just adorable! i love DIY :) thanks for the sweet comment on my blog!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...