Sunday, November 13, 2011

"Operation Vegetable Drop"

WE'RE ENGAGED! Kevin proposed to me yesterday, 11/12/11. Here is the story of how it happened. It requires a little back story, so hang in there.

I got in the shower to get ready to go to celebrate my grandparents 50th wedding anniversary (perfect timing, right?) When I got out, I noticed "Kevin + Allie...Forever" written on the mirror in the steam. Kevin and I each have our own mirrors in our bathroom, and I always write nice things to him on his mirror (because I'm corny like that) and I give him crap because he never writes back to me (because he is absolutely not corny like that). So at first I just thought, "Oh that's nice he decided to be extra thoughtful today!" (Now I understand the "Forever" part)
{all photos were taken after the proposal-- I did not stop mid-proposal to take pictures}

Then, I noticed the bowl of peas and carrots sitting on the vanity with a letter on top that said "Read Me". I always write him random cards and letters (again, corny) but he isn't into that kinda thing. So when I saw the letter, I was extra happy with his thoughtfulness that morning. My next thought was, "What the hell, did he make me lunch?" Very confused about the vegetables in my bathroom and how they got there mid-shower. Then the reference clicked. He has always said to me, "We go together like peas and carrots" like in Forrest Gump (yes, he says it just how Forrest says it) and I laugh and laugh. So it was a very personal and thoughtful gesture. (Still, I didn't think the proposal was coming....)
{all photos were taken after the proposal-- I did not stop mid-proposal to take pictures}

I started reading his nice letter and of course started crying (because I'm sappy like that). The letter included very nice things about me, our relationship, etc. I will spare you the details ;). As I read, I still didn't suspect anything. However, when I got to the very last line, I started to put the pieces together. The last line read, "As I've said many times before...we go together like peas and carrots... Dig to the bottom of the peas and carrots. I think you'll find something that will interest you." I was already crying before I got to this part, and when I realized what was coming I REALLY started crying. As I was digging, I was thinking, "I can't believe this is happening! I can't believe this is happening!" I found a perfect little ring at the bottom of the bowl.

I openend the bathroom door and Kevin was there. He got down on one knee and said, "Will you marry me?" I blubbered "Yes!" and hugged him and tried to contain myself through my laughs and tears. He slipped the ring on my finger and it was official! Fiancés!
____________________________________________________

Notes and FAQ's :)

--Kevin had the ring in his possession for about 2 months before he proposed. Brian had been keeping it safe for him. When I got in the shower, Kevin told Brian, "Operation Vegetable Drop" is a go and got the peas and carrots to put in the bathroom.

--Kevin was able to sneak in without me hearing him because I decided to listen to music on my computer at full blast that day while I was showering. Which is weird, because I don't usually do that. His backup plan was to act like he was coming in to get something if I happened to hear him and look.

--Yes, I got engaged soaking wet, wrapped in a towel (I know you are all wondering!) I hesitate to include this picture, but I feel it's an accurate representation of the situation-- soaking wet and happy crying!

--No, Brian was not a witness to the engagement (because many of you have asked!)

--Kevin called my parents the night before to ask their permission. They said no, but he proposed anyway. JUST KIDDING. They gave him their blessing :) Mom was waiting by her phone all morning.

--Kevin and I went ring-looking once. He went by himself once and picked out one he liked and thought I'd like. He took me once and I picked out almost the exact same one. I wanted the ring to be a surprise, so I told him to get what he wanted. He did a great job. I love my ring.

--I had no idea it was coming. He did a good job of proposing in a "natural" setting so I wouldn't be expecting it!

--No, we have not set a date. We are thinking Summer of 2013.

--And what all you ladies are waiting for... the ring :) It is a cushion cut diamond, cathedral setting, and channel set diamonds along the band (from what Kevin tells me). He did very well!




Thank you ALL for your kind words and support. I feel so incredibly lucky to be engaged to such a loving, kind, and intelligent man who makes me laugh all day long. I was happy to be able to spend the day with my family, celebrating a 50 year marriage.

YAY LOVE! I'm so happy I could burst. And let the wedding planning commence!

5 comments:

Josh and Melissa said...

Congratulations darling! I love the story and how he was able to incorporate so many unique parts of your relationship together!

Bren, Chris, and boys said...

Congrats, Allie and Kevin!!! Kevin, you "romantic dog," as Grandpa Clark would say! What an awesome proposal. I will never look at peas and carrots the same again! ;-)

Love & best wishes from Bren,Chris, and the boys

We look forward to seeing the ring in person at Thanksgiving, and we look forward to having you, Allie, in the family! :-)

Hannah said...

CONGRATS ALLIE!!! I am SO excited for you! I remember that first night at hotel premiere when you told us all about Kevin :) This is absolutely wonderful!

Николь Франсон said...

A late comment, but congrats again!

His proposal was so cute and personal :)
As I've said in a comment before, I'm getting married June 22, 2012 as well, and I got engaged on November 18, 2011!! Lol, you've been engaged a whole week longer than me!

Николь Франсон said...

Sorry, June 22, 2013

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...