In the Farrell's program, the main focus when it comes to healthy meals is a good balance of protein and carbs, and these balls are a perfect fit.
Here's what you need:
1 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup flaxseed
1/3 cup honey (I used a little less... I was suspicious of the fact there are no nutrition facts on honey.)
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 tsp vanilla (I used 1 tsp...what's the point of a 1/2 tsp?!)
1/2 cup peanut butter
My mom uses "meal" or "ground" flaxseed, but I wasn't sure what to get and of course mom never answers her phone when it's imperative. :p. I can't really taste the difference. I think mine have a bit more of a crunch because I used whole seeds but I'm ok with it. I think I actually like it better with the whole seeds. If you're shopping at Fareway, flaxseed is in the baking aisle. If you're at HyVee, it's in the Health Market and every employee you ask will look at you like flaxseed isn't a real thing and you'll have to hunt it down yourself.
Both flaxseed and oatmeal are pretty high in protein, as is peanut butter. Flaxseed also provides healthy fats and is high in fiber. I also use Omega-3 peanut butte because the NuVal number is higher at HyVee and I think it's yummier.
Mix it all up and let it chill in the fridge for an hour before rolling into balls.
This recipe makes 20 balls. According to my calculations and similar recipes I found online, each ball has about 10 carbs and 5 grams of protein. As far as serving size goes, I will probably eat 2 at a time, maybe 3 if I'm really feeling lethargic.
This will be a perfect snack right before a workout to give me a little extra energy before my workout. It will also be great to tide me over (is it 'tie me over' or 'tide me over'? I've never actually typed that phrase out before)... in that stage after my workout when I'm so hungry I could eat my arm off, and too hungry to properly function to make something.
I also want to point out the fact that Kevin is a really good husband to actually let me get these dishes as seen below. Every time I open up my cupboard I just stop and stare at how pretty! They're Fiestaware if any brides-to-be out there are plotting register for them also. And did you happen to notice my measuring cups? Also a rainbow. While we're pointing things out, that mason jar tumbler is from Bed, Bath, and Beyond and is the perfect travel mug for breakfast protein smoothies.
Let me know if you give these a try! They're pretty yummy and I actually do feel like I have extra energy after I eat a couple. Off to do a double kickboxing class! Happy Hump Day.






1 comment:
Hi there! I know this is an older post but I like your recipe and will be trying out today. Just a note on flax for you... you only get the nutrients from flax if they have been ground, other wise they just pass right through you.You also need to refrigerate flax as it goes bad. Chia has similar properties as far as good fat/fiber/protein but doesn't need to be ground and wont go rancid. Love your blog!
Post a Comment