Saturday, July 20, 2013

Farmer's Market

One of the reasons I was most excited to live downtown was to walk to the downtown farmer's market each weekend. Well, I've got about a month left of summer and I've only made it to the market ONE time! One! So disappointing. Granted, I have been out of town or busy almost every Saturday this summer. However, I fully plan to make the most of the farmer's market for the remainder of the season.

Kevin is training for a half marathon along with our best man Brian, so while they were off on one of their "long runs" (6 miles...you couldn't pay me) I took a solo trip down to the market.

I don't generally enjoy large crowds of people who are moseying aimlessly with no sense of purpose. Kevin is 100x worse than me on his tolerance level, which makes me even more anxious when I'm with him. So, sometimes the market can be a bit too crowded for me. I also firmly believe dogs should NOT be allowed at the market. There are enough people here, do you really need to bring your 200 lb. dog to show off, OR your 5 lb. dog that is definitely going to be stepped on? I vote for a no dogs clause.


That being said, I love the market, I could just do with less bodies. I love supporting local farmer's and buying my groceries fresh. I'm still doing pretty good eating healthy so I was excited to get some fresh food. I just wish I wasn't so picky. The tomatoes looked delicious.

Here is what I came away with. Sweet corn, kale, zucchini, and potatoes. I also got a bundle of fresh flowers! Kevin's friends are coming over today for lunch and we're going to grill out. I'm planning on making kale chips later. I've never tried this before but I've seen a bunch of tutorials for it so I think I'll give it a shot!


I have always longed to buy the fresh flowers I see at the farmer's market, but Kevin always gives me the look like, "Do you really need them?" Well, today I did, and he wasn't here to give me "the look," so I bought them! I got them from a nice little Vietnamese woman and she picked out the perfect bunch for me. There are so many different kinds in the bundle and it was huge. For $9 I thought I did pretty good. I split them up into two mason jars and put them around the loft.




I'm off to start getting my grilling food ready. Kevin and his friends are going to Brewfest today so I will probably do some crafting, maybe some school work, and probably go for a run. I love lazy Saturdays. Later I'll probably have to deal with their drunk butts. Oh joy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...